Webinar: New approaches for safety evaluation of nanomaterials
Organizers: Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS), Ente Italiano di Normazione (UNI), Airi
Date: Thursday, September 17th, 2020 – 16.00-17.30
Place: online @NanoInnovation 2020 Conference & Exhibition
The increasing complexity of innovations based on nanotechnologies, and more in general enabling technologies, and the demand for a better and safer innovation, require to adapt and strengthen current approaches to safety evaluation. Integrated and harmonized approaches to assess, manage and communicate risks (risk governance), including novel model of cooperation and interaction between innovators and risk assessors and managers are needed.
Significant and effective examples of risk governance and safe-by-design practices – e.g. considering safety aspects early in the design process of chemicals, materials and products – are emerging and will become increasingly relevant in the future for all R&D players, also in order to access public funding (e.g. Horizon Europe).
The symposium will showcase the approaches developed in different EU projects, such as the H2020 NMBP Gov4Nano (GA 814401) and ASINA (GA 862444), on characterization and assessment of risks related to nanomaterials and nano-related products by public authorities and risk managers, and practical implementation of safe by design approaches by companies.
Planned talks will be on database and analytical approaches for nanomaterials characterization, hazard identification and assessment, and safe by design approaches for nanomaterials development, with a focus on the textile industry.
The session will be held online (webinar) and is organized by Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS), in cooperation with the Ente Italiano di Normazione (UNI, national standard body), and the Italian Association for Industrial Research (Airi).
- Federico Benetti, ECSIN-European Center for the Sustainable Impact of Nanotechnology, ECAMRICERT SRL Analytical approach for nanomaterials characterization in the nanosafety context
- Cecilia Bossa, Environment and Health Department – ISS Fair approach for nanomaterial databases
- Cristina Maria Failla, Experimental Immunology Laboratory – Istituto Dermopatico dell’Immacolata IDI – IRCCS Ex-vivo assessment of toxicity of tattoo ink nanoparticles
- Francesca Maranghi, Centre for Gender Medicine – ISS Sex-specific approach in nanomaterial hazard identification
- Patrick Cronin, Mica NanoTech Ltd, and University of Limerick Campus, Limerick, Ireland Antimicrobial Textile Coatings as Industrial Case for implementing ASINA Safe-by-Design Methodology
Book here your online place at the Airi webinars
(compile this one- minute survey to reserve your place at the webinar).
Info and full registration soon available on this page and at: www.nanoinnovation.eu (link)
The webinar is part of the multi-track sessions of NanoInnovation. Since 2016, the NanoInnovation Conference and Exhibition is a meeting place for leading R&I players active and interested in these technologies. Read and follow the full program of symposia, exhibitions, courses, B2B and R2B meetings on the NanoInnovation website.